Child Support

Corrado Law Group, P.C. successfully helps the injured recover compensation they deserve.

Sterling Heights Child Support Lawyers

How Are Child Support Payments in Michigan Determined?

In Michigan, statutory guidelines and a formula are applied when determining how much monthly child support a parent must pay. The basic factors that impact child support payment determinations include the number of children, the parents' income levels, and the necessary living expenses for each child. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that a spouse who is voluntarily underemployed or unemployed may not be relieved of their duty to contribute to support.

At Corrado Law Group, P.C., our child support lawyers in Sterling Heights understand the importance of obtaining a fair child support payment for you and your family. Additionally, we will work tirelessly in the event you need to obtain or defend against a child support modification.

The amount of child support is calculated using the Michigan Child Support Formula. This formula considers the following factors:

  • Both parents’ incomes
  • Number of overnights each parent exercises
  • Number of children supported
  • Children's health insurance premiums
  • Childcare costs
  • Other factors the court deems necessary

Call (586) 554-2200 to schedule an appointment with our child support lawyers in Sterling Heights!

Can Parents Modify Child Support Payments?

There may be situations where one parent would like to modify their child support obligation. This might occur if a child has special needs, expensive educational expenses, or other extraordinary factors the court deems fit.

The situations listed above have been approved by the Michigan Child Support Formula. However, the court can deviate from the child support formula for a good cause, as it sees fit.

A parent can only request to have their child support obligation reviewed once every 3 years. However, if there has been a significant change, a parent may be able to get the Fried of the Court (FOC) to do a review.

How to Pay Child Support in Michigan

The Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU) and the Friend of the Court (FOC) work together to collect and distribute child support payments. In most cases, child support payments are automatically withheld from the payer’s wages and MiSDU forwards them to the payee. Both the payer and the payee get a copy of the income withholding order when support is paid this way.

Sometimes income withholding is not possible because the payer is self-employed (or for other reasons). In those cases, the payer must make payments directly to MiSDU. Sometimes both parties agree to an alternative payment arrangement. If payments are not made through MiSDU, the payee must let the FOC know they received payments for the payer to get credit.

What Happens if You Fail to Make Child Support Payments?

If the parent that owes child support becomes substantially behind in his/her payments, a motion can be filed to obtain child support. If this occurs, the payer could potentially lose his /her driver's license or must face jail time.

What If I Cannot Pay My Child Support Obligation?

Due to a change in circumstance, you may not be able to pay part or full of your child support obligation. A change in circumstance is considered loss of a job or a significant change in your income level. If this happens, you can request a temporary or permanent modification from the court for your child support obligation.

Continue Reading Read Less
Hear What Our Clients Are Saying

Our Reviews

  • "Talia and the Corrado Law Group, PC helped me with a challenging custody case for several years"
  • "She is professional, knowledgeable, and will have your back as your lawyer."
  • "At times adoption can be a scary process, but Talia and Tonya make sure that you understand everything."
Our Values What Our Work Means
  • Advocates for Your Family's Best Interests
  • Extensive Courtroom Experience
  • Compassionate Approach to Every Case
  • Exclusively Focused on Family Law & Adoption Matters
Free Consultations Available Contact Our Offices

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (586) 554-2200.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.